All links open in a new window
Books and chapters
- Šimić, L. and Underwood-Lee, E. (eds) (forthcoming – under contract, scheduled for publication 2022) Mothering: Processes, Practices and Performances. Abingdon: Routledge.
- Šimić, L (forthcoming 2022) ‘Friday Records: A Document of Maternity Leave’, in Rachel Colls and Abi McNiven (eds), Time, Temporality and Motherhood, Palgrave Macmillan.
- Šimić, L. and Underwood-Lee, E. (2021) Maternal Performance: Feminist Relations. Basingstoke: Palgrave.
- Šimić, L. and Underwood-Lee, E. (2020) ‘Returning to Ourselves: Medea/Mothers’ Clothes and Patience one decade on’ in Marchevska, E. and Walkerdine, V. (eds) Maternal in Creative Work: Intergenerational Discussions on Motherhood and Art. Abingdon: Routledge.
- Epp Buller, R., Šimić, L. and Underwood-Lee, E. (2019) ‘The Body in Letters: Once Again, Through Time and Space’ in Epp Buller, R. and Reeve, C. Inappropriate Bodies: Art, Design, and Maternity Bradford (CA): Demeter.
- Šimić, L. and Underwood-Lee, E. (2016) Live Art and Motherhood: A Study Room Guide on Live Art and the Maternal London: Live Art Development Agency.
- Radosavljević, D. Rigby, A. and Šimić, L. (2015) The Mums and Babies Ensemble: A Manual Artist Book Liverpool: The Institute for the Art and Practice of Dissent at Home.
- Underwood-Lee, E. (2018) ‘On Openings’ Performance Research (23:4/5)
- Underwood-Lee, E. and Šimić, L. (2016) ‘Back pages 26.4, Performance and the Maternal’ Contemporary Theatre Review 26:3.
- Šimić, L. (2018) ‘Encountering Performing (M)Others: Feminist Maternal Practice in Contemporary Performance’, in Contemporary Theatre Review, special issue ‘Feminisms’, 28.3.
- Šimić, L. and Underwood-Lee, E. (2017) ‘On the Maternal – Editorial’ Performance Research, 22.4.
- Šimić, L. and Underwood-Lee, E. (2017) ‘Manifesto for Maternal Performance’, Performance Research, 22.4.
- Šimić, L. (edited by Natalie Loveless and with Buller, R E, Donoghue, D, Drummond, D, El-Sherbini, Y, Haq, F, Hawkes, J, Irvin, S, Kessel, C, Knowles, H, Lusztig, I, McCloskey, P, Regn, I A, and Richter, S) (2016) ‘Contemporary Mamactivist Artists: A Forum on Maternal Activist Art’, in Studies in the Maternal, special issue on The Everyday Maternal Practice: Activist Structures in Creative Work, Summer.
- Šimić, L. (2014) ‘Birth Story’ artist pages, in Performance Research, 194, pp 24-30
- Underwood-Lee, E. (2017) ‘Performance and the Maternal: motherhood in the live stage encounter’, MAMSIE blog.
- Šimić, L. (2016) The Institute for the Art and Practice of Dissent at Home: an interview. Cultural ReProducers
- Gingell, Z., Dent, E., and Underwood-Lee, E. (2021) Revisiting the ‘Maternal Attitude’ Conference: Curatorial after thoughts & reflections
- Three Conversations (with Neal and Sid Anderson) (2020) short play about climate activism, commissioned by Climate Change Theatre Action, performed as a part of and due to be published in Lighting the Way CCTA Anthology.
- Kicking Up Our Heels (2019) created and delivered at Great Ormund St Hospital by Brian Lobel and Emily Underwood-Lee in collaboration with Caroline Moore (GOSH Arts), Anna Ledgard and Emily Speed. Supported by Arts Council of England
- Who wants another baby? (2017) film made by the Institute for the Art and Practice of Dissent at Home, presented at Žena – trudnica – majka: zelene sfere i nekropolitike / Woman – Expectant – Mother: green spheres and necropolitics exhibition at the Centre for Culture in Novi Zagreb.
- Medea/Mothers’ Clothes (2004 – 2017) autobiographical performance, first performed at the Bluecoat, Liverpool in 2004, revisited for Studio 12, Bratislava, Slovakia in February 2016 and at the Festival of Ideas at Edge Hill University, UK, June 2017.
- 42 Among the Gormleys (2016) site-specific maternal performance (in collaboration with family for 42nd birthday) Crosby Beach, Liverpool, November 2016, also part of Bringing Up the Future exhibition at Student Centre, University of Zagreb, February 2017.
- Full Term (2014) film (9 minutes) part of The Egg the Womb the Head and the Moon exhibition at Artsmill in Hebden Bridge, May 2014; 1+1 exhibition at Galerija Kazamat in Osijek, Croatia, 2014, and Bringing Up the Future exhibition at Student Centre, University of Zagreb, February 2017.
- Friday Records: A Document of Maternity Leave (2014) online journal containing images, videos and text, also including Friday Records Live Art Event, performance about motherhood containing recorded text, images, video and performative action. Dublin Live Art Festival, MART Gallery, Dublin, Ireland, August 2016.
- Patience (2009 – 2014) created and performed by Emily Underwood-Lee.
- Sid Jonah Anderson by Lena Simic (2008) performance with baby Sid, which stages the daily labour of mothering, MAP Live, Carlisle.
- Contemplation Time: A Document of Maternity Leave (2007 – 2008) text and photographs, also presented as artist pages n.paradoxa: International Feminist Art Journal, 22, pp. 79-83, 2008.